Pages

24 June, 2009

Tee Shirt Guilt

Here's what I don't understand... how can one person accumulate so much STUFF?

I'm finally unpacking my dorm room boxes and hitting the childhood room hard, trying desperately to throw away all the things that are spilling out of closets, bookshelves, and threatening to takeover my rug. And, not to be totally victimless (I do adore the free tee-shirt a bit too heartily) but much of this schtuff was bequeathed to me from well-intentioned family and friends. Therefore, even if I haven't used it or even seen it because it's been at the bottom of my closet for years, the guilt that comes with "giving it away" is strong. But seriously, when will I ever wear an extra large purple tee-shirt with the words "Sisters: emotional tech support" scrawled in large white script? The gift was super thoughtful- my sisters are an emotional support network, and have been there many a time for me. But must I declare so on my chest for all the world to see? Also, I was given the gift years ago, when I was even smaller than the size small I am now. But it was hard when I tried to bring my teeshirt collection downstairs to give away, and my mom held up the "sisters" shirt and looked at me with eyes that can only be described as a mixture between shocked and a touch hurt.
"You're giving this away?"

"Yes mom."
"But... why?"


This is why I have so many damn tee shirts: everything I truly want to give away I'm guilted into keeping, either by other people, or, worse, by my own conscious.

That's another thing: I have (too) many soccer teeshirts from the various competitions, travel teams, and games that I've played over the year. My mom was really adamant about getting a larger size so that I'd "grow into it." Now, at 22, I have over 25 soccer tee shirts that I will never be able to rock as a nostalgic and sporty nod to my childhood pasttimes because they are still a person and a half larger than I ever hope to be. There always is the option to convert the designs on the shirts into pillows, but then again that would just create more stuff to deal with in my poor small room... it could be endless, this clutter.

But, on the bright side, I might be able to totally beat this guy's world record for the most tee shirts worn. The larger sizes will sure come in handy. Thanks, mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment