Pages

11 September, 2009

The Soundtrack To My Life If It Were A Movie

I love making playlists. I suspect that I may just construct the world's most perfect mix cd one day, so I often make test-mixes in my Itunes. Sifting through my songs and making playlists has been the preferred method of procrastination for the better part of my life, during nearly every midterm, final, and/or stupidly long problem set. I have playlists for every occasion and emotion, from Angst, to Breakup Songs, from Dance It Out to the Bounce in Your Step/Walking Across Campus playlist, emolove (one word, all lowercase), Musicals/Singalong, summery melodies, and the best of my series- the 'i' emotions: Independence, Inspiration, Intoxication, Introspection (in order alphabetically, not chronologically.) So I've given these things a lot of thought. (or at least, a lot of time)

Naturally, the most important mix that one might compose would be what would go on the soundtrack to the movie of their life. You know, the biography that is to be released after you get rich and famous (or rich and notorious) and where you are depicted in a much more flamboyant, drug-ridden way by the actress (or actor) who is probably more attractive than you are. (This is true for almost everyone, except KG).

There are many good reasons for making this cd. You might give it to a potential suitor to check their relationship compatibility. You might just learn a little something about your self (like perhaps you shouldn't listen to so much Pink.) And lastly, it's an incredibly effective conversation starter or pick up line.

Get ready for genius.
The SOUNDTRACK:
The opening scrolling credits/ the obligatory car driving and scenery song: American Girls, by Weezer with Soul Coughing
The first intriguing meeting with the love interest (perhaps in a bar) song: Little Bit of Feel Good, by Jamie Lidell
The transitory dealing with life's changes montage song: Consequence, by the Notwist
The requisite indie song: For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti, by Sufjan Stevens
It's time for a misunderstanding to divide me and the love interest song: Breathe Me, by Sia
The "introspective, step back from the all the action to discover what's really important in life" song: High and Dry, by Radiohead 
The empowerment "I can do this" song: Three More Days: Ray LaMontagne
The "the love interest and i get back together" song: Petals, by the Honorary Title (or Look After You, by the Fray)
The "life is so sweet" song: Mother, We Just Can't Get Enough, by the New Radicals 
The song that's playing when everyone realizes it's all good/ ending credits song: Take Your Mama Out, by the Scissor Sisters

4 comments:

  1. 1. i love that you already have this playlist planned out.
    2. i am horrible at music. feel free to make me a playlist during any procrastinatory/otherwise non-busy time. :)
    3. hope boston's good!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't tell if you are trying to tell me i'm more drug-ridden and flamboyant or more attractive than the hollywood actress who would play me...also, everett and i approve heartily of your playlist. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I think you are a brilliant writer. I think KG is gorgeous enough, no actor needed. I also like the last song, makes sense. Hope today is great!!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way, doesn't the guy look like ted?? ;)

    ReplyDelete