Pages

10 October, 2009

Getting on the Other Side of the Fisheries Industry

Yesterday, from 5:31pm (or as I like to call it, the geriatric special!) at the "restaurant", we already had an hour wait. At 7pm the wait time had inched up to past a 2 hour wait. People were less than pleased. And some "guests" are not shy about telling you how they feel. At one point, when the line was 10+ parties, with the other 7 tables we were trying to fit in, and with no one actually leaving the restaurant, and with both phone lines ringing off the hook for the better part of an hour with people asking me what the wait was (while I politely try to tell them- don't come!), a man pulled me aside to ask me if I "knew we were in a recession."

I wasn't exactly following his logic, but I try to be as friendly as possible (that's what they pay me for?) so I played along. I told him that the good people and tourists of Boston were trying to bolster the local economy by spending money, as that is what Obama would want. (or W.W.O.D.) He asked me if I was trying to be funny.  For the record, I would like to believe that what I had told him was more or less true. Then he asked me 'Didn't I know it was only a Thursday night'? As though I did not. (Truth, I didn't actually know it was a Thursday. The days blurred together for me when I worked nights.) Then he proceeded with "Didn't I know that people shouldn't be out spending money because we were in a depression?" I didn't think that logic was quite right, but what can you say? The customer is always right (except when they are throwing up on your nice clean and freshly sanitized hostess stand. See previous entry.) After maybe three more questions in this fashion, he was pushing my happy hostess stand smile to the very limit.

So I informed him in my curt "I've-drawn-doodles-more-intelligent-than-you" voice (rarely used, always enjoyed [by me]) that I hadn't eaten in seven hours (more or less true), had spent 200 thousand dollars on an ivy-league education (...less true) that had paved the way for at least ten other people who wanted to yell at me that night because they felt a little bit hungry (sadly too true).

There was a pretty awkward moment of silence. I thought for sure I was going to get fired (but since it was on my last night, I was kind of excited by the prospect of going home early!) His response can only be described as a bark of laughter. Frankly, far more frightening just getting yelled. At least I was used to that. The man laughed a lot more and gave me a business card, because he "liked my spunk." He winked. I love people that wink.

His business is apparently dealing art in California- according to the card- but if I ever happen to find myself out there having developed a love for selling art, he will be the first one I call. And that was my last day. No cakes, no fanfare (except for the jubilant singing in my heart when I walked through the doors for the last time).

Though it's only been a few short weeks, the amount of all that "character building" from the stress, getting yelled at, the general ennui that comes with doing a job that I loathed has given me so much in my life. I'm not sure what exactly quite yet, but I'm sure it will come to me in time. Maybe just PTSD. Either way after my last night at the restaurant, there were brighter shores waiting on the horizon...

Today I started my first day at The Aquarium! YAY! Instead of helping to serve fish, I now help to study and conserve them! And all is right in the world. I also nanny for my sister. So instead of being yelled at by hungry strangers, I get hugged by hungry nephews. I get asked to go on walks, watch "Sid the Science Kid," read stories to two enraptured toddlers, and kiss away tears from bad naps. I also got asked to put a tattoo on Cole.

Me: Cole, where would you like the tattoo?
Cole: Penis.
Me (A little taken aback): No. How about your hand-ie? Or your cheek-ie?
(side note*: most body parts are turned into cuter names when I'm nannying.)
Cole (emphatic): Penis.
Me: Okay it's going on your hand here. Yay!
Cole: Aunt-ee Emma-leee (giggles giggles giggles)

You gotta be quick when it comes to tattoos, or else that could be a potentially very sticky situation. I'm sure there is at least one PSA about that. All in all, it's a pretty good gig.

1 comment:

  1. You are silly and a lucky duck. Enjoy your time with the boys and Kate. Enjoy the Aquarium xox

    ReplyDelete