Pages

04 March, 2010

Adults Listen to Music, Too

In less than a week I will be celebrating my 23rd birthday. As my family likes to remind me, I will now be in my "mid-20s." That sounds important, knowledgeable... old. Allegedly this birthday marks my entrance in real adulthood, but since I like to think that adulthood is most likely a state of mind and measured by mentality and maturity level I probably top out somewhere around 17.

If I embodied the real aspects of adulthood (ie, not breaking any and all technology around me long enough to keep a functioning iPod) the following songs would be my adulthood jams. Because adults like to listen to music too, kids. I know these things, as I am now (almost) in my mid-twenties. An adult.

Vampire Weekend- Cousins
Vampire Weekend performed a concert at college during my sophomore year. I was studying for a midterm in the library. My life has not been the same since. If I did the "right" thing, why does it feel so wrong mom?
Anyway, Cousins. This came on four times a day everyday while working in my lab at the aquarium.  And I still love it. That says something about a song. A really good something. Take home the life lesson here, kids- when in doubt? Ditch the work, enjoy to the concert.

The Books- Don't Even Sing About It
Excellent music to zone out to, to do work to, to stretch to, to escape the world a little while. Bonus: I got them from my brother in law and loved them heart and soul. A few weeks later I discovered that they were from my neck of the woods. Hometown pride!

Yeasayer- Strange Reunions
Off their latest album, Odd Blood. Yeasayer is the electronica I never knew I always wanted.

Jay Z- We On to the Next One
DoubleD told me that she likes the idea that "on to the next one" can be almost anything. On to the next... bar? Lover? Life experience? Who knows, who cares. I am inspired regardless. On to the next song.

the Kooks- Seaside
Though the waters around Boston are frozen approximately 7 months of the year, I still like the idea that, one day, I will be seaside, singing and falling in love just like the Kooks wanted.

Passion Pit- Sleepyhead
Oh yes. Just yes. Upbeat and synth-heavy giant drug references are a good foundation for a solid song. This holds true from the 70s to today.

Sufjan Stevens- Jacksonville
Sufjan Stevens is the soulful-est geeky white boy I have ever heard (aside from Jason Mraz. J'tadore.) True story: I once listened to this song on repeat for an entire 2 and a half hour flight. Supplemental true fact of previously mentioned true story: it was last week.

Darlingside- Surround
String alternative rock band? Yes, it is as intriguing as it sounds. Imagine Emerson Hart's voice from Tonic mixed with a violin intro, unexpected melodies, some pretty beautiful harmony and a dash of the band Parachute with a lot more oomph. Bonus points: they got their start at my college. Hometown pride!

Delta Spirit- Ode to Sunshine
Sometimes you just need a little "screw the world, it will all be alright" kind of mentality. Delta Spirit delivers. This song makes me feel jaded and cool.

the Black Ghosts- Full Moon
Melodic, haunting, and just generally a wonderful song to listen to while traveling if you're hoping for that added edge of "wandering." Don't let the fact that it was the opening song of Twilight diminish its greatness.

Lady Gaga- Paparazzi (Acoustic)
A song list would not be complete without a Lady Gaga nod. The Lady is singing Paparazzi without the aid of any production or editing while playing piano effortlessly and sipping a cup of tea all bedecked in a crazy costume. For anyone else it might look silly.
 Though to be honest I shouldn't be continually surprised that she sounds so good live. You know why? Because when you think about it singing live is actually just... singing. So those that can't sing live (coughtaylorswiftcough)... well. You just draw your own conclusions.

Steve Winwood- I'm Not Drowning
Steve Winwood could sing about plywood and I'd be moved. (See what I did there?) Ever need a song for the moment in your life when you realize you need a change? That you may not be soaring with the eagles, but you're not scraping rock bottom either? Steve Winwood's knows. He's been there. And he was 15 when he was signed to a label and had to get parental signatures to go on tour. What are you doing with your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment