Pages

16 December, 2009

Any day that ends in a ballpit is a good day

Last week I connected with a new friend from the Berkshires living in Boston. We did all the same things that Berkshire County kids love to do- go to Starbucks to grab coffee, go aisle shopping in Target, and driving around town. The good life.
 He's a few years into grad school and gets to enjoy all the perks of dorm life. Being around kids your age (ish), late-night dorm snacks, bearing witness to walks of shame, etcetera. Another perk of his dorm living? Oh, just that one of the rooms in his dorm is devoted entirely to being a ball pit. It's for "stress relief." It's an entire room filled two and a half feet thick with brightly colored plastic balls! An entire room!

I can't even imagine the possibilities this would have held for me at school. I would have done all my studying there. My daily exercise. My late-night romantic trysts. (Kidding. Half.)
Needless to say, I made him stay there and swam through them and bounced them off the walls for as long as felt socially appropriate (an hour). It was our first friend date, after all- don't want to give a totally childish impression. But the fact that MIT devotes money to this endeavor, AND that a committee probably had to sign off on it, makes me seriously consider applying there.

No comments:

Post a Comment