Pages

10 December, 2009

Aquarium Days


I've been at the Aquarium for over 2 months now. Within that short amount of time my boss has learned to trust me enough to leave me alone in the lab for a few hours and not have the lab be flooded upon his return. I feed the starfish, dogfish, urchins, seahorses, and flounder all by myself, and they're all surviving quite nicely (a fact of which I am very proud).

In the beginning, I tried to name all the animals I came across. Most were given physical descriptors, like the starfish I named 'Lefty' because he was missing an arm. (Because starfish have five arms...ha...ha). There was also Lumps, Spotty, Red, and Flopsy. You get the idea.

The Edge of the Sea exhibit is where I spend most of my time. There is constant background music provided by the nearby Amazon River exhibit. More specifically, the music comes from the deforestation video that plays on loop throughout the day. The music gives a soulful, driving ambiance to my exhibit. Because of that video, I am endlessly subjected to an a capella version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," where the "in the jungle, the mighty jungle" parts are accompanied by the piercing sounds of chainsaws and trees falling. Deforestation. About 4 million times a day, everyday (approximately.) The visitors themselves don't seem to be affected the same way that I am, but then again- they can always walk away. When you're cleaning out a tank for about half an hour and hear the refrain "A hym a way-a hym a way-a hym a wayy..." it's enough to make you wonder: if I cut down all the trees, will it make the music stop?





On Wednesday I wandered into the cold-water area, where another intern was working. We chatted a bit about our respective jobs, and then he said that if I was sticking around I could help feed Truman and Athena. Truman and Athena are the aquarium's North Pacific Giant octopi. Athena is, admittedly, not so giant (as she is just under a year) but Truman is a dude. So now, on my life list, I can cross off "feed an octopus." I can also add to that list (only to cross it off immediately, for I have done it!): touch an octopus (not shockingly- they are smooth and slimy), as well as be suctioned by an octopus tentacle (all the way up to my elbow).

Sure, the internship is unpaid. But you can't pay for experiences and character-building like that. Right, mom?
...Right? 
 How many seahorses do you see in the picture? 
Correct answer: at least 8. Camouflauge, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment