Pages

26 January, 2010

Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

In Jay-Z's new song An Empire State of Mind featured artist Alicia Keys sings:

"In New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can’t do
Now you’re in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
The lights will inspire you."

Aside from ending a sentence in a preposition, Alicia Keys has some good points. New York does make one feel brand new, or at least like they're looking around them for the very first time. There are so many people and things to look at, to see, to do- the possibilities are endless. Everyone is interesting, busy, and stylish. But there's a lot that I couldn't do this weekend, even being in an empire state of mind.  While I have a lot of dreams and hopes, people apparently don't take a zest for life as a form of credit. (Lame.) So on Saturday, while visiting my twin in the new place she calls home, we ended up just walking around for a couple hours feeling equal parts inspired and poor. They seem to go hand-in-hand. Every time I started to sing the song Chel would stop me and call me a tourist. Scathingly. Only she was allowed to sing it, as she was a real New Yorker now. She paid rent. She rode the subways. She couldn't afford the produce. I was just a visitor. But I still felt inspired and sung it in my head. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

On Saturday afternoon we stopped to listen to the buskers in Washington square: an a capella group singing mo-town, a piano player tinkling out Chopin, and a sand artist drawing mandala-inspired designs on the sidewalk. We took pictures of kids playing in empty fountains, walked to the river to see the skyline of Jersey (Jersey- beautiful at this time of year), but mostly we just walked.

A speaker came to my college during my freshman year as part of our orientation program. The whole lecture consisted of her passionately instructing us, the new students, to "stop doing" and to "just be." Ironic logic, if you think about the fact that my professors might not have looked too kindly on that reasoning as an excuse for having not done my research paper. "Sorry I didn't do my paper, Professor Halse. I was just being."

But on Saturday that's just what Chel and I did. We just be'd. (Saying "we just were" loses a little bit of the philosophical charm of the phrase.) However, to fulfill our youthful wild sides we did watch a few episodes of MTV's the Jersey Shore. Because you can't search the depths of the soul without spending time in the shallows, too. Yes, you can write that down.


The pictures are taken from my cell phone during our adventuring around town: the sunset over an apartment building, Buddhist inspired graffitti on a mailbox, and a painting on the side of a garage. Note: this last picture is most likely not the actual City of New York Bomb Squad logo. I doubt they'd endorse "Dr. Strange Love." (But maybe they should.)

3 comments:

  1. At least three times you made me pee. STOP MAKING ME PEE. And the 'shallows' line? I see a Hallmark card in the making. Or at least a Snorg Tee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very clever. you are a witty person and very insightful xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, in my not-so-humble-New-York opinion, New Yorkers have no business telling anyone what they can or can't sing/do. Not because of the stereotypical superiority complex that most of them develop, but because it is completely contradictory to the nature of the New York State of Mind and the New York philosophy. New York is where the possibilities really are endless, where any random kid with a dream in their heart and mojo in their shoes can strike it big, regardless of where they come from. Whether they start out busking in the streets, mopping up the hotel lobbies, or just straight up begging for change, New York is where most any schmo can become a now-you-know. It is the ultimate producer of the rag-to-riches story.

    New York is the city that tells you, "Hell yeah you can sing that song" NOT one that says "Hey, you can't sing that 'cause you're not a "real" New Yorker." Sorry Rachel, but my parents were both born and raise in the Bronx. I think I win this one.

    ReplyDelete