Pages

17 January, 2010

Where the air is sweeter

As I had the good fortune to fall in love with an amazing guy who happened to be a year behind me in college, I am able to tread between the "real world" and alma mater when I am able. There are legitimate (and not just sketchy alum) reasons to go back and visit, besides seeing Dan. The air there doesn't smell like trash, there are more trees than people, life is less laden with responsibility, and, though hours from a real sea, it has the best sushi in Massachusetts.

College is unique for many reasons. One is expected to further their own learning through 4 classes a semester. That is all. Sure, people take on more responsibilities, but when else in your life can you schedule in a 3 day weekend every week and be given the opportunity for consistent daily naps? Additionally, when again will you be primarily  surrounded by peers within 3 years of your age? And two-thousand of them (in my case) at that? The free time and massive amounts of peer-to-peer interaction can create interesting and unforeseen circumstances. Though life after college is empowering and responsibil-ifying, there is something incredibly nice about going back to a land with small personal responsibility and massive amounts of free time. Well, more free time than you'll get after college, anyway.

Dan and I did many important things that weekend. We dined at the student center snack bar on hummus and frosts (just like I was a real student!) We went sledding on a nearby mountain area quaintly called Sheeps Hill (though devoid of any ewe-like creatures. Maybe they hibernate). I visited (the only) my favorite coffee shop and walked down the streets where people stopped what they were doing just to say hi. It is how I picture my life to be if it were a musical. (Except less choreographed dances. Notice I said less.) But maybe that's what small-town life is like. We even had a fire in his houses's library to combat the freezing zero degree chill outside (why, Massachusetts, why?!) and hung out with some of his friends like Isaac the Mika lover and a kid who went by the name Fast Eddie. Sweet.

Some say that life is a highway. I think it's more like Sheep's Hill. Riding down sure is fun, but maybe you shouldn't have worn your running shoes. Hypothetically. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment